Saturday, May 19, 2012

More Galileoscope Viewing -- The Sun and Venus

The crescent of Venus, refracted by Earth's atmosphere. Image: Kathy Ceceri


My post on GeekMom today includes a photo of a crescent Venus. I was surprised and thrilled to see it when I peeked through the telescope!

And I failed to mention in the post that as I was setting up the telescope, I saw a good-sized meteor fall straight down! It was an amazing night for viewing.

If you're in the path of the eclipse tomorrow, go out and take a look (but safely). And next month, almost everyone will get to watch Venus make a transit across the face of the sun. Exciting!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool image. Hope you got to see the transit, too!
    Just wanted to let you know about the telescopes4teachers.org donation program - folks can donate and have Galileoscopes sent to the school or teacher of their choice. Could you tell everyone you know about it? The goal is get 5000 Galileoscopes into schools by the fall.

    ReplyDelete